If you think long and hard, you'll find something you want to punch too.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

And I would like to thank you for not wanting to punch me in the face while I speak...

I hate unneccessarily long speeches. Why do people have the compulsion to speak longer than necessary?

This is ironic since my background is MUN, and MUNers are prone to being long-winded (and snappy dressers).

At a Model UN event today, I got to hear university students from around the world talk about how awesome the UN, what a great experience the conference will be, and how in their country, this is a great opportunity.

Most people will probably find that awe inspiring, but I'm a jaded American, so I just wondered why these speeches were so long. I kept wanting to find a gavel and tell them their 2 minutes were up and they needed to yield to the chair.

Long speeches: the reason why the UN is ineffective.

1 comment: